By Jezz Foo, chiropractor at Thrive Wellness Centre
Scoliosis is the sideways curvature of the vertebrae (small bones in the spine). The curvature is usually found in the lower back or upper spine but can occur in any part of the spine. This curvature usually occurs during late childhood to early teenage years when the body is growing fast.
Some common signs and symptoms of scoliosis include:
- One hip higher than the other
- Legs may be different lengths
- One shoulder blade that appears more prominent than the other
- Clothes may not hang evenly
- Uneven waist
- The person may lean more to one side
- Low back pain in older adults
For the majority of cases, there is no known cause of scoliosis. In some cases, scoliosis may be caused by neuromuscular conditions or injuries or infections to the spine. Scoliosis may also be caused by bone degeneration due to osteoporosis in older adults.
Small curves do not usually cause any severe health problems and no treatment is required. However, chronic back pain in adults who were diagnosed with scoliosis during their childhood is more common compared to the general population.
Chiropractic treatments for scoliosis include:
- Manipulation of the spine to assist with pain relief and discomfort; and
- Prescribed exercises to help realign the spine, shoulders and hips for a more ideal posture
Jezz Foo is a chiropractor here at Thrive Wellness Centre. Click here to book an appointment with her or one of our other chiropractors.
All of our friendly practitioners work evenings and/or weekends to assist making and attending appointments that little bit easier for you. For any queries, please contact our office on (08) 9478 3869.