You might worry that you’re going to look silly if you exercise at work, or you might say that you’ve just got too much to do to even think about exercising, maybe you’re just too tired. Here are our best tips on how to overcome these issues and get some movement into your working day.
- Just because it’s an office job doesn’t mean you need to be seated to do your job. Have you thought about a standing desk? Despite the initial cost, standing desks have been shown to reduce general body aches and pains In the workplace. Standing too long can be an issue for the body too, the idea is to break up the time you spend sitting and standing with short stretches or walking in between.
- Create an exercise group! Organise quick stretching sessions with your co-workers; you’ll get to relieve your aches and pains and doing it in a group won’t make you feel silly. If this isn’t an option, find a colleague or two and try go for a 10-15 minute walk in your lunch break.
- Use movement to fight fatigue. There is plenty of evidence to suggest that people who are more active have better sleep quality, making them more alert during the day. Move shared devices – such as printers/scanners – to a mutual location so you and your colleagues need to move.
- Set alarms that remind you to move.
- Check your ergonomics. Ensure your workspace is set up well. If you don’t know, ask us and we can show you how!